Choosing the color of your hair dye is a big decision since you have to rock that color for a long time. However, what if I told you that dying hair with markers is possible?
Moreover, you can even choose a washable marker hair dye that won’t last for too long. With that, switching hair colors is easier if your mood changes. Are you now curious about how to dye your hair with markers? We got it covered! Here are the ways to dye your hair with markers.
We will also answer commonly asked questions, so let’s start!
Table of Contents
- Step-by-Step to Dye Your Hair With Markers
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Step-by-Step to Dye Your Hair With Markers
What to prepare?
- Hair conditioner (optional)
- Disposable cup
- Mixing bowl
- Hair dye brush
- Hair ties/clips
- Lip balm
- Plastic gloves
- Hair dye cap
- Cold water
Step 1: Choose the Right Color That Will Suit You The Most
You must know that you can use this DIY hair dye without bleach.
Moreover, make sure to choose a color that you not only want but also suits your natural hair color. For instance, dark-colored markers such as brown and black will work well for dark hair.
On the other hand, there are more available colors to choose from if you have light-colored hair.
Step 2: Create Your Marker Hair Dye
Do you want the color to stay longer, or are you just intending to wear it to a special event? Well, you can choose between washable marker or permanent marker hair dye.
If you are looking for specific brands, coloring with Crayola markers that are washable is advisable if you don’t want the color to last.
Moreover, you can dye your hair with Sharpie if you want to rock the hair color for quite some time. Your hair, your choice!
Step 3: Opening the marker
- Hold the marker horizontally with your left hand and a pair of scissors with your right hand.
- Grip the marker’s stopper with the scissors, then pull it to open the other side of the marker.
- Once it is open, hold the marker vertically with the open side pointing down.
- Tap it on a flat surface to release the ink tube inside.
- Carefully hold the ink tube to prevent the ink from being spilled everywhere.
Step 4: Extracting the ink
- Soak one tip of the ink tube in a disposable cup filled with water. Wait for it to turn white.
- Prepare a mixing bowl that will hold the ink. Put the ink tube’s white end between your lips, then start blowing.
Ensure the mixing bowl is right under the tip of the tube to keep your workplace clean.
- Repeat the previous steps depending on how many markers you intend to use. It all depends on how intense you want the color to be or how thick your hair is.
- After blowing all the markers’ ink into the bowl, you may add conditioner to the mixture.
Applying the dye with markers and conditioner is suitable if you prefer the feel of a smooth texture on your hair.
However, you may opt to apply the dye directly without conditioner.
Step 5: Apply the Marker Hair Dye As You Want
There are a lot of hair coloring techniques that you can do to your hair, such as highlights or highlighter hair dye and ombré. It’s all up to you and your preference.
What’s also exciting about hairmarker temporary hair color is that you can experiment more with different styles.
If you make a mistake, you can just wash it as if nothing happened.
Just a friendly reminder, wear plastic gloves and old clothes that you won’t mind getting stained. You wouldn’t want to ruin your favorite shirt.
- Coat the skin near your hairline, ears, and neck with a small amount of lip balm, so removing the hair dye stains will be much easier.
- Part your hair into sections if you are planning to dye all of it. In this manner, dying your hair will be more manageable and organized.
- Apply the DIY hair dye with markers you prepared in whatever manner you like.
- If you want to put highlights, wrap the portions with foil after dying to prevent the ink from smudging other hair strands.
- Cover your hair with a hair dye cap, and wait for about 40 minutes to an hour.
It is crucial to learn that you just have to wait for the hair dye to dry on your hair if you happen not to mix it with conditioner.
If you did, wash your hair with cold water after the lapse of the suggested time. Do not wash it with hot water because the dye might lose its grip on your hair.
Step 6: Make Adjustments if Needed
The fun part about experimenting with household items, like dying your hair with markers, is that you can always make adjustments.
- Inspect your new hair color. Do you think the color is too dark? You can wash it with cold water to wash off the excess dye.
If you want a more vibrant look, re-apply the dye on your hair to satisfy your preference.
- Once your hair is dry after the adjustments, you can now style it. Do you want to straighten your hair, curl the edges, or braid it, perhaps?
The choice is yours! After styling your crowning glory the way you want, you can now pair your fashionable OOTD!
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Is coloring your hair with marker bad?
Coloring your hair with regular hair dyes has its risks in itself. Therefore, using art markers whose primary purpose is to color illustrations to dye your hair is not a hundred percent safe.
Markers contain small amounts of toxic chemicals that can irritate your skin, so try this hack at home at your own risk. So, maybe you can try it once, but never make it a permanent alternative to regular hair dyes.
How do you use marker paint on your hair?
You can try the same steps above, such as choosing the right colors, prying open the marker to extract the dye from the ink tube, and applying the hair dye to your hair.
Adjustments are also possible by washing your hair with cold water if you prefer a lighter shade or re-applying with the DIY hair dye if you want a more vibrant color.
What are the other alternatives to regular hair dyes?
As crazy as it sounds, you can color your hair temporarily with crayon. In addition, you can try doing it with watercolor paint and even with food coloring.
Lastly, dying your hair with Kool Aid is another famous hack.
Dying your hair is one of the myriad ways to express yourself. It is your right, and no one should take it away from you. Unfortunately, sometimes it is hard to find the time to go to a salon or the needed budget to dye your hair.
That is why we hope we were able to impart our knowledge on how to dye your hair with markers. Still, take note of the possible consequences.
Do not hesitate to share your ideas and suggestions. We would like to hear them! Continue being cool, and we hope you’ll achieve satisfying results.