Copic markers are a well-loved option used for drawing, coloring, and other art projects. Another popular brand among both novice and professional artists is Ohuhu. But if you must choose between them, which is better?
In this Copic vs Ohuhu blog post, we will compare the two in detail. We will look at factors like options, quality, color, and cost. Read on to make your final call!
|Options||– Offers alcohol-based markers only||– Offers alcohol- and water-based markers|
|Quality||– More flexible tips
– Less prone to bleeding and leaking
|– Stiffer tips
– More prone to bleeding and leaking
|Color||358 colors||320 colors|
|Cost||– More expensive
– Refillable ink cartridges, which can cut cost in the long run
– Allow users to get individual markers
|– Less expensive
– Only sells in sets
Table of Contents
Copic Vs. Ohuhu: What Are They
Copic is a Japanese marker brand established in 1987. It sells professional-grade markers that are alcohol-based and have refillable cartridges. Drawing pens, airbrush, ink, maintenance tools, and paper are also available.
In the U.S., you can buy Copics online through retailers like DICK BLICK, Jerry Artarama, Joann, and Michaels.
Ohuhu is also a well-known marker brand. It has a wide range of alcohol-based and water-based markers, as well as pens, pads, bags, and paint sets. You can purchase Ohuhu items directly from its website or retailers such as Walmart.
Ohuhu and Copic Marker Comparison: Differences
Currently, the brand offers three product lines: Copic Sketch, Copic Ciao, and Copic Classic. These are dual-sided with a replaceable medium chisel tip and a broad brush tip. All three come with a special type of refillable alcohol-based ink. However, each line has its own color range:
- Copic Sketch markers are available in 358 colors
- Copic Ciao markers come in 180 colors
- Copic Classic markers are in 214 colors
The Copic Ciao line also has a unique quality. They can be fitted with a medium round tip, which is sold separately.
Previously, the brand also offered Copic Wide with a broad 21mm tip and 36 color options. However, this line has been discontinued. Now, you can only get a Copic Wide with an empty ink cartridge, which users could fill with any ink of choice.
Related comparisons: Water based vs alcohol based markers
Ohuhu markers are either alcohol-based or water-based. There are three lines for the former and two for the latter.
- Kaala Series: Slim chisel tip and fine tip. Available in 24 to 60 colors
- Honolulu Series: Chisel tip and brush tip (the brush tip is reversible). Available in 24 to 320 colors
- Oahu Series: Broad chisel tip and fine tip. Available in 12 to 320 colors
- Molakai Series: Wide tip in 4 colors
- Lanai Series: Brush tip. Available in 20 to 72 colors.
- Maui Series: Brush tip and fineline tip. Available in 36–120 colors.
With both alcohol- and water-based markers, you will certainly never run out of things to draw with Ohuhu markers.
→ Winner? Ohuhu, as it offers more variety than Copic markers.
2. The Quality
- The tips of Ohuhu markers are stiffer than Copic markers. This makes coloring, lettering, and blending more difficult. In addition, the overly stiff brush is more prone to tearing the paper, especially thinner ones.
- The ink of Ohuhu markers are juicier. As a result, they are more likely to bleed through paper, causing it to curl or tear.
- Ohuhu markers are more prone to leakage. Many Reddit users have complained that their Ohuhu markers tend to leak and cause a mess. There’s also concern over quality control, considering how Ohuhu markers’ caps can crack easily.
→ Winner? Overall, Copic markers perform better than Ohuhu markers.
3. Color Assortment
Copic offers up to 358 different colors. Depending on the product lines, markers are also available in specific colored Copic marker sets.
For example, with Copic Sketch markers, you can get:
- Sea & Sky Colors (6)
- Pale Pastels (6)
- Bold Primaries (6)
- Floral Favorites (6)
- Earth Essentials (6)
- Secondary Tones ( 6)
All Copic product lines have markers in sets of 12, 24, 35, and 72 colors.
Another special thing about Copic markers is that you can create your own custom ink color and fill it in the marker!
Ohuhu markers also have a large color assortment. It has up to 320 different colors. Some series include specific Ohuhu color chart sets, similar to Copic.
For instance, Ohuhu brush markers in the Honolulu series are available in:
- Set of Grey Tones (36)
- Set of Pastel Tones (48 to 96)
- Set of Skin Tones (24 to 36)
- Set of Mid Tones (48)
→ Winner? Copic. Copic markers offer more color options than Ohuhu markers.
Note: If you look for Ohuhu – Copic conversion charts, you will realize that the two brand’s colors do not overlap very much.
4. The Cost
Ohuhu is relatively affordable. For $40, you can get a set of 40 alcohol-based coloring pens, which averages to $1 per marker. And if you’re willing to splurge a bit, you can get a full 320-color set for $244.49, which is quite a bargain.
Copic markers, in comparison, start at $5.24. Its large sets can cost well over $400. Delivery fees vary depending on where you make your orders.
→ Winner? Ohuhu’s markers are more affordable than Copic.
However, it is worth noting that you cannot buy Ohuhu markers individually. You must purchase them in sets. Hence, your total bill might still be higher than if you were to get one or two Copics.
5. The Pros & Cons
- Available for purchase as individual markers or markers in sets
- Offer up to 358 colors
- Refillable ink cartridges and replaceable nibs
- High-quality performance with little bleeding and tearing
- More expensive
- Only have alcohol-based markers
- Offer both alcohol-based and water-based markers
- An economical choice
- Reversible brush tip
- You cannot purchase individual markers
- Fewer color choices (320 only)
Which is Better, Copic Markers or Ohuhu Markers?
Now that you have gone through the specifics of both brands, you can make your call. Ohuhu vs. Copic, which is the better marker brand for you?
Get Ohuhu markers if you want an economical option and the ability to pick between alcohol- and water-based markers. However, note that they are available in fewer colors and their quality isn’t exactly the best, so they may not be suitable for professionals.
If you have a generous budget and want the best quality and most extensive assortment of colors, then Copics are better. They are also “the ones” if you just want one or two specific markers. Plus, their replaceable nibs and refillable ink cartridges mean you’ll be able to save money in the long run.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Ohuhu markers good?
Most Ohuhu markers reviews will tell you that they are good enough.
For their price, these markers deliver satisfactorily. Even though they might not be as superior compared to other brands, such as Prismacolor vs. Copic markers, they are not bad either.
Ohuhu markers are particulary fantastic for beginners and hobbyists who want to create art but might not be ready to invest so much money into it.
If you search for Ohuhu marker drawings, you will get an idea of how good these markers are.
Why are Copics so expensive?
Copic markers carry heftier price tags because of their brand reputation and high-quality performance. There are many reasons why users continue to purchase Copics despite their cost. Some of which we mentioned above (refillable ink, replaceable nib, +350 colors, etc.)
Are Ohuhu markers toxic?
Luckily, no. Ohuhu markers feature acid-free, non-toxic, and odorless ink! As such, they are ideal for kids and adults alike.
Where are Ohuhu markers made? Where are Copic markers made?
Suppliers make Ohuhu markers in China. On the other hand, Copics is a Tokyo brand, meaning its markers are produced in Japan.
Copic and Ohuhu are both excellent options to consider when it comes to markers. But now that you have read this Copic vs Ohuhu blog post, you should be able to choose one of the two.
In short, Copic is great for those who have the money and seek top-of-the-line quality along with more color options, while Ohuhu is suitable for those who want affordable markers that can get the job done.
Hopefully, this has been helpful to you. If you have any additional questions or thoughts, please contact us in the comments below. We are always glad to hear from our readers, so do not hesitate!