Have you been in cafes or famous hangout spots lately? If yes, you probably have seen vibrant writings and drawings on glass surfaces.
Did you know that you can make the same artwork using chalk markers? However, don’t be confused with the name because these markers don’t contain chalk. They are called “chalk markers” because their ink resembles a vibrant powdery finish, just like chalk.
Hence, you should stick around to learn how to use chalk markers on glass if you want to bring this trend to your safe space. We’ll share tips and tricks too, so let’s start!
Table of Contents
- Step-By-Step to Use Chalk Markers on Glass
- Tips for Using Chalk Markers
- Storing Chalk Markers After Use
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Step-By-Step to Use Chalk Markers on Glass
What to prepare?
- Chalk markers
- Glass surface
- Scratch paper
- Glass cleaner
- Microfiber cloth
- Damp cloth
- Manila paper or cartolina
- Permanent Marker
Step 1: Thoroughly Clean the Glass Surface
Making chalk marker drawings on windows and other glass surfaces will be fun and hassle-free if you follow these steps correctly.
To ensure that the marker will run smoothly on the glass surface, you have to ensure that it is squeaky clean.
You can use a damp cloth to remove grease and bumpy stains. Then, spray glass cleaner on the glass surface. Finally, wipe it dry using a microfiber cloth.
Step 2: Dry-Erase or Wet-Erase?
Before activating your chalk markers, you must know that there are two main types of chalk markers — dry-erase and wet-erase.
The main difference is that dry-erase markers can be wiped out with a dry cloth, while you can only clean off wet-erase markers with a damp cloth. Therefore, in choosing between the two, we recommend using wet-erase markers on glass surfaces, otherwise known as “liquid chalk markers”.
- Liquid chalk markers have viscous inks and semi-permanent qualities, which makes them a better choice than dry-erase chalk markers. They also won’t smudge easily.
- Moreover, wet-erase markers are heat-resistant so that they won’t bubble or fade quickly. This feature makes them ideal for chalk markers art shown outdoors.
Step 3: Activate the Chalk Markers
To make chalk markers work on glass, you must activate them first. Blending chalk markers is easier if their nibs have solid ink flow.
- Shake the marker with its cap diagonally for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the marker cap, then press the chalk marker’s nib against scratch paper on a flat surface.
- Wait for about a minute or until you see a small blob of ink, then release the marker from the paper.
- Repeat the process until the nib is full of ink and you achieve the right consistency of ink flow. You can now use liquid chalk markers on glass.
Step 4: Prepare a Design to Trace
It is fulfilling to see your ideas slowly turning into reality, isn’t it? Consequently, it will be more satisfying when your plans are applied seamlessly.
This aim will be possible with the help of a tracing design. Using a design to trace will also be helpful for beginners.
Steps to draw the design manually:
- Clean off a flat surface such as a table where you can draw. Make sure the table has no uneven texture.
- Lay a manila paper or cartolina flat on the table.
- Start drawing your design using a pencil.
- Highlight the details with a pen or a permanent marker.
Steps to create a digital design:
- Open your gadget, then go to your preferred editing application.
- Start drafting your design in photoshops.
- Once you are done with the draft, save it on your computer.
- Print your design.
Step 5: Decide on Which Side the Artwork Will Face
This step applies when you want to write on glass windows or walls. Do you want it to be read from the outside or the inside?
For example, writing a poem in a cafe that can be seen from the inside is much better. It would add to the dreamy ambiance.
The thought of sipping a hot cup of coffee while reading a poem and staring at the people walking outside the street would be a wonderful experience for the customers.
On the other hand, you can choose to draw beautiful drawings seen from the outside to entice customers to come in. Hence, it all depends on who the artwork is for.
Step 6: Test on a Small Surface Before Going All-out
As you want to use a liquid chalk pen on glass, being careful is necessary to save time if it’s not working as expected. It might ruin your previous work!
Therefore, choose a small hidden spot to try the liquid chalk marker on the glass. If it has inconsistent ink flow, then try activating it again.
If it works fine, you can start applying it to the glass you intend to draw.
Step 7: Start Drawing
You can now use the design you prepared earlier and attach it to the back of the side you want to draw. You may use tape to keep it in place.
After all the preparations, you can now use your Bistro chalk marker to share your artistic side!
Tips for Using Chalk Markers
1, Prepare a damp cloth while drawing so you can remove liquid chalk from glass immediately after making a mistake.
- Note: It takes a few seconds for the chalk marker to dry.
2, When shading large areas, work slowly to achieve even coverage and avoid unwanted streaks.
3, You can blend chalk markers in a ceramic container, then dip an extra or dry nib to apply the new color on the surface.
4, Add water to the chalk ink for painting or blending effects.
Storing Chalk Markers After Use
- Always put the marker cap back after using it. Make sure it is tightly sealed.
- Chalk markers should be stored in an upright position to preserve the ink in the tips.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make chalk markers stay on glass?
To make chalk markers permanent on glass, use a spray sealant. Apply the chemical for up to three coatings.
Just make sure to let the first coating dry first before applying the second one. Likewise, this technique can also be used on car windows and on a whiteboard.
How do you apply chalk to glass?
You can try using Chalk Couture products. It is as easy as peeling and pasting the transfer on the glass surface.
Then, spread the chalk paste on the transfer using a squeegee. Lastly, lift the transfer.
Will chalk pen come off mirror?
It is possible to remove chalk marker from mirror since it is also a non-porous surface. Just wipe the ink on mirror with a damp cloth.
It is no wonder how art touches the soul. Maybe this is why man can conjure art even with the simplest materials.
However, thanks to innovation because one can get to ask, how to use chalk markers on glass? We have undeniably come a long way since cave paintings.
Moreover, we hope that we were able to help you somehow achieve your artistic goals!
Cheers to more art endeavors!