If you are looking for a creative way to add a splash of color to your projects, liquid chalk markers are the perfect tool.
They are easy to use and provide a variety of vibrant colors that can really pop. In this blog post, we will walk you through how to use liquid chalk markers. Read on to find the list of materials and detailed steps!
Table of Contents
Step-by-step to Use Liquid Chalk Markers
What to Prepare
- Your liquid chalk markers
- A work surface
- Paper towels (optional; for cleaning up potential mess)
- Hold the marker vertically with the tip pointing up. Press on the tip slightly.
- Shake the marker for 30 seconds. Make sure the cap is on tightly while you do this to avoid creating a mess. This step mixes the ink inside of the marker to ensure smooth delivery.
- Press the tip against your work surface firmly and release to pump it, getting the ink flowing. Do not be too forceful or you will damage the tip and render it useless.
- Go ahead and use the marker once you see the ink pool to the tip. While writing or drawing, hold the marker at a 45-degree angle for optimal ink flow.
Other Tips to Remember
- The colors of chalk markers vary from surface to surface. Therefore, you should always do a spot test first. It will give you an idea of what to expect.
- Chalk markers dry more slowly than other markers. So, avoid touching the ink right after laying it down. If you do not wait for it to dry, you will smudge, smear, and erase your drawing.
- Chalk markers should be stored vertically. It is best to keep them in a holder with the tips pointing up. This ensures the ink will not settle at the bottom and become clogged.
You should also store chalk markers away from moisture and harsh sunlight. Look for a dry and cool place instead.
Ways to Use Liquid Chalk Markers
Liquid chalk markers have smooth flowing and vibrant ink that makes them fantastic for labeling. They also come in many sizes and colors for you to choose from. You can use them to label anything, from the spice containers in the kitchen to your little one’s toy organizers.
On non-porous surfaces, you also can seal liquid chalk markers so that they will not be smudged or erased. This is particularly important for labels that you want to last long.
Lettering is another purpose that liquid chalk markers serve. This can be done on boards, mirrors, and other smooth surfaces.
You can create a decorative lettered piece with a quote that you like, a meaningful message, or your name or initials. Since these markers are available in a wide range of sizes and colors, you will have a lot of room to play around with your creativity. All your creations can be unique!
3. Drawing & Coloring
Like other markers, liquid chalk markers can be used for drawing and coloring. They are richly pigmented, so you do not use up a lot of ink for these art activities. Plus, you can fill in large spaces more quickly.
Many people choose to draw and color with liquid markers when their creations go beyond a piece of paper. However, the drawback is that these tools require consistent reactivation for the best results.
It might sound unbelievable, but we are not lying! You can use liquid chalk markers to paint too. All you need to do is pump its ink out into a palette, then use it to paint with your ordinary paint brushes.
This works because liquid chalk markers feature extremely pigmented ink. The ink also dispenses easily and smoothly.
You can use liquid chalk markers as paint for portraits, murals, etc. They are particularly great for large projects.
However, note that they might be more expensive than ordinary paint. If budget is not a problem, though, you should definitely try painting with liquid chalk markers. It will give you a new experience as well.
How to Create Art with Liquid Chalk Markers
You can create stunning pieces with liquid chalk markers by lettering, drawing, coloring, or painting. A popular form of art that you can consider trying with these items is glass art.
Blending and adding texture are basic techniques that you may want to know for liquid chalk marker artworks.
1. Blend chalk markers
Softly brush colors horizontally, then vertically, making sure to work one section at a time.
You should pick colors that are close to each other on the color wheel, and have at least three going from light to dark. Try not to use too much ink to get a smoother finish.
2. Add texture to chalk markers
You can add texture to any items that you draw using white liquid chalk marker. These will also help you create lettering effects, which are forms of texture too.
Two tips to keep in mind while adding texture is rotating the marker and waiting for the colors to dry fully. The former is for when the ink doesn’t flow out smoothly, while the latter ensures that you do not accidentally blend the colors.
Tips to Remove Liquid Chalk Markers
Sometimes, liquid chalk markers can be tricky to erase. In cases where more elbow grease still feels futile, try:
- Using Windex: Spritz a generous amount of Windex on the liquid chalk marker stains, let work its magic for a couple of minutes, then wipe with a wet rag.
- Using Vinegar: After using Windex, substitute water with vinegar to dissolve the chalk marker ink pigments more easily. Pair it with a rag or sponge to get the job done.
- Using a Magic Eraser: Wet the eraser to activate it and wring out the excess moisture. Use it to work off the liquid chalk marker ink. A magic eraser is especially great for removing chalk from chalkboard painted wall.
- Using Baby Wipes: Baby wipes can be a handy cleaning tool, particularly for liquid chalk markers on glass. You just need to rub them against the liquid chalk marker stains to lift the ink. If the stain is old, however, you might have to go through several wipes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What surfaces can you use liquid chalk markers on?
Besides using these markers on chalkboards, you can use liquid chalk markers on whiteboard, glass, ceramics, porcelain, mirrors, and other similar surfaces.
How can I make liquid chalk markers work better?
You should always prime your chalk markers before using them. Make sure to reactivate them as you use them as well. When you are done with the markers, store them properly somewhere dry and cool.
Are liquid chalk markers permanent?
Liquid chalk markers are not naturally permanent. But you can make them last by sealing them. There are many methods to do this. For example, you can use a fixative spray.
What are liquid chalk markers used for?
As described above, liquid chalk markers are super versatile and can be used for many purposes. Some of its common applications are labeling, lettering, drawing, coloring, and painting.
It is not uncommon to see boards and posters decorated by liquid chalk markers. These are especially popular in cafes, restaurants, etc.
Can I write in chalk pen on chalkboard paint?
Yes. Chalk pens and markers will work on surfaces coated in chalkboard paint. So, they are suitable for blackboards, whether slate or porcelain.
You can clean your stained fabric using soapy water. Use 1 tablespoon of dishwasher soap and 2 cups of cold water. Let the solution sit on the stains first, then scrub the spots to work off the ink. Complete the process by washing and drying the fabric.
Now that you have learned how to use liquid chalk markers, you can go ahead and put that Bistro chalk marker on chalkboard to work! Which artwork are you thinking about creating? Let us know in the comments down below. We cannot wait to hear from you!
Hi, I am Eveline Kessler, a content creator. My love for colors and arts draws me here to join the Intermediarts team with Leilani. I am responsible for testing new products and techniques with her and providing honest reviews and tips based on our experience. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this, and I believe you will find her suggestions to be invaluable as well.